Thursday, October 9, 2014

Love at first click?

So, I think I met someone. Well, sort of...

Recently, I have been researching people online who also have an interest in public relations and the world of communications. In my search, I found a user that goes by the name of “Benayers,” and he (in my mind, Benayers is a he so let’s just roll with that) introduced me to some fascinating stuff that I had never read before I stumbled across the links he shared. Let’s just call Benayers my social bookmarking soul mate.

Now, I don’t know much about my soul mate, but everything that I could gather from him came from his posts. Unfortunately, Benayers has not posted anything significant this year, but he did share an abundance of great material last year. Most of his tags include #pr, #publicrelations, #communications, which are pretty much the same tags I use for all of my posts! It’s true love, I know.

On a more serious note, though, Benayers shared three extremely insightful articles last year. Each on of them offered a new perspective into the world of PR, which is really amazing considering I’m studying the subject on a regular basis.

I just wanted to share some of Benayers’ links with you guys so that you could also be blown away!

1. “The Press Release is Dead”

Wait, what’s that you say?! The press release is dead? It just cannot be.
Those are the exact words that came through my mind when I read the title of this article, and then I actually read the article. This is when I found out that the press release was not dead, but it was just being reformatted in Canada. According to this article, the press release would no longer consist of dense blocks of text, or the use of long titles in headlines and leads. Instead, Canada decided to opt for a more digitally friendly format when it comes to press releases.  This entails two or three paragraphs of short, crisp text that will allow readers to scan quickly for the key messages of the announcement. The new format also offers quick access to key facts and additional resources. Never before in my wildest dreams did I ever think a PR staple such as the press release would ever be reformatted, but this actually seems like a good idea to me. This format was just implemented in Canada last year, and if it proves successful I don’t see why American agencies wouldn’t pick it up.

2. “Game of Thrones Breathes Fire Into Next Season”

Okay, so I admit that I'm a little bit biased about this link. I love Game of Thrones, so I clicked on this link rather enthusiastically, but it turns out that Benayers shared a link talking about the publicity efforts of Game of Thrones. So it totally made sense to include it on here for you guys to check out. The show’s PR team pulled off a rather large publicity stunt on the beaches of Dorset in England. They placed a giant dragon skull right smack in the middle of the beach. Cool, right?! I would have personally been really excited if I would have stumbled upon this in Dorset, but sadly I am nowhere near the beach where this fabulous stunt took place.

If you’re curious to see more of what Benayers has to share, go ahead and click on the following link. I highly encourage you to do so since he shares some pretty cool stuff. I mean, GAME OF THRONES. That is all I have to say.




No comments:

Post a Comment